- Mangrove Swamps is where where land and sea intertwine, where the line dividing ocean and continent blurs.
- a mangrove forest appears puny,monotonous and depauperate.
- mangrove trees are able either to exclude or to excrete salt from their tissues.
- sprout aerial roots that permit the exchange of gas for aerobic respiration.
- mangrove communities develop only near the sea because they cannot compete successfully with freshwater flora
- Mangrove swamps typically fall with in one of two broad categories of classification: mainland or oceanic island.
- Twin Cays, a largely untouched mangrove range covering more than a square kilometer of a shallow lagoon.
- This mangrove swamp has since built a foundation of seven meters of peaty soil as it reacted to rising sea level
- Stunted growth on Twin Cays and similar Belizean mangrove islands resulted from the lack of phosphorus
- mangrove insect fauna is much more diverse and ecologically important
- Mangrove roots seem to benefit from this process have shown that the fouling community protects the trees, at least partially, from the attack of root-boring animals
- 20 to 30 percent of the microbes, algae, sponges and worms living on Twin Cays may also be among as yet undiscovered species.
Researchers are trying to found out about how mangrove swamps contribute to the ecosystem. Then, mangrove swamps plays a major part on the ecosystem since many species are depending on its roots. Mangrove Swamps is where where land and sea intertwine, where the line dividing ocean and continent blurs. Researchers studied the Twin Cays, a largely untouched mangrove range covering more than a square kilometer of a shallow lagoon. There are many studies of mangrove that had been discovered such as mangrove swamp has since built a foundation of seven meters of peaty soil as it reacted to rising sea level and mangrove swamps is either mainland or oceanic island. They are diverse and ecologically important, they are many different mangroves to live in different environments. Once a mangrove was cut or had been destroyed, it is more likely for them not to recover since irreversible changes in the fundamental structure of the ecosystem.
After reading the article, i found out mangrove is very important to the ecosystem and the environment. I always found mangrove swamps scary because of the water is not clear and the roots are scary that looks like a a scary creature is living under it. But, they are very important since many species depended in its roots. Many mangrove swamps are decreasing since many human activities are destroying them and unlikely to grow back. We should not destroy mangrove swamps just to have a land to create building or houses.